Expected impacts listed in the work programme
Being fully aware of the challenges ahead, we are convinced that the multidisciplinary network within this consortium and the strong links to the industrial and clinical reality are the best fundament for rapid bench to market transition. Together, the EU and Chinese partners involve through the present consortium can reach the critical mass in terms of biomaterials, SFF and TE expertise, and infrastructure necessary to implement the ambitious platform creating a long lasting impact and network of knowledge between the involve partners.
Our scientific plans have been designed to obtain the following:
- Imaging captures and process technologies workflow for development of anatomically relevant and precise custom-made macro-structures designed scaffolds.
- Innovative biomaterials and their combination, at least three, together with two rapid-prototyping technologies with incorporating bioactive factors in the field of bone repair with improved architecture design, biocompatibility, osteo-induction/osteo-promotion, anti-infection, and long term functionality.
- Modular biomaterials combination and innovative processes, and integration in a single medical device.
- Tissue engineering approach development using clinically relevant cells (human mesenchymal stromal cells) and assessment of Chinese medicine phytomolecules component (e.g. Icaritin) derived from osteogenic Chinese medicine.
Economic and Development Impact
- We expect the combined approach of the concept to give rise to multiple innovations to be exploited by the networks of Partners.
- High value inventions based upon the materials, process technologies and tools defined in the scientific plan.
- Improve European competitiveness and research visibility to international surgeons’ network and Chinese partners.
- Additional patents and competitive positioning of industrial Partner on the technologies and models developed.
- Improved knowledge and competitiveness of Europe on Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering development.
- Decrease healthcare cost by decreasing re-operation rate due to bone none-union in critical size defect and improving patient specific surgery.
Improving Quality of Life
- Improved therapeutic for population suffering from bone none-healing.
- Faster recovery through advanced custom-made implant patient specific therapy and improvement of life quality through improved recovery.
We will also leverage the inherent trust that exists within the partnership based upon collaborations (several on-going collaborative projects) that have occurred between the partners over the past two years. The partnership represents opinion leaders (academic and commercially) in the field, who fully understand the importance of integrating in as much external information as possible into scientific plans to ensure success.